22 September 2017

Garden Objective: flower arrangements

A green ceramic jug filled with flowers on a kitchen counter
September 2017:  dahlia, cosmo, hydrangea, sunflower, goldenrod
According to The Plan, one of my garden objectives is to provide materials for crafts including flowers for arrangements.  I'm lucky that my garden was already well stocked with many flowering plants by the time I moved in thirteen years ago.  In particular, there are lots of roses planted by the previous owner;  the husband says she worked at a rose wholesaler.
June 2009:  rose, hydrangea, campanula, fern
Over the years, I have made many flower arrangements from my garden.  I not only have a lot of perennials, but I usually sow several varieties of annual flowers, which vary from year to year.  This year it was nicotiana, snapdragons, lobelia, cosmos, strawflowers, and French marigolds (which the slugs ate entirely--they ate all but two strawflowers too).
August 2008: Lily, crocosmia, laurel leaf
Additionally, I have a few annual and biennial flowers which self-seed readily such as nasturtium, feverfew, honesty, and poppies.  And sometimes I receive seedlings from a friend;  this year I was given sunflowers, sweet peas, and borage. 
June 2013: daisy, roses, honesty seed heads
I still continue to add flowers to my garden, though to be honest, there's not a lot of room left now;  most of my space is already growing something beautiful or useful (usually both).  No doubt I'll be able to fit in a few more things though, to add more color and beauty to my garden and house.

No comments:

Post a Comment