31 October 2017

Comparing seed-grown and self-divided leeks

A few small leeks growing through a wire tray in a garden bed
My poor leeks, with a wire tray to ward off chickens (not very successfully)
I've grown leeks for a couple years now, and while we really like to eat them, I've not been particularly successful at it.  I learned that leeks will divide into new plants like garlic bulbs if allowed, and I tried it this year--as well as growing some new from seed.

I let a few of last year's leeks remain and go to seed this past summer, and while the parent plants have died back, there are a few strong little leeks growing up from them.  One of these is pictured above:  the largest leek cluster above.  The rest are all from seed in that picture, although they all had a setback from rampaging chickens.  However, the difference is clear:  the self-divided leeks are much bigger and sturdier than transplants from seed, and I have a few others not pictured (including a few I hadn't noticed until last week) which are as big or bigger. 

It's not enough leeks for the likes of us, but after comparison, I think I may try and establish a permanent leek bed in the perennials section, rather than rotate them as annuals through the main beds.  If so, I may not harvest any this winter, but save them to transplant in spring;  if it means a perennial supply of nice big leeks, I'm willing to forgo a (meager) harvest this once.

No comments:

Post a Comment