20 October 2017

Container gardening in autumn and winter

Many young cabbages growing in a cold frame
Spring cabbages in cold frame, Oct 2017
My classy cold frame (the base is a stripped down old sofa seat and the cover is a glass shower door) is currently filled with some very happy spring cabbages, some small cauliflowers for next summer, and self-sown miners lettuce.  It's got a few random calendula too.  I moved out half the cabbages in the photo above into the main beds now that all the potatoes are dug up (this year's Potatoes bed will be next year's Peas/Beans/Brassicas), in order to fit the cauliflower seedlings.  This past summer we had a couple really nice cauliflowers, grown over winter in the cold frame and planted out in spring;  I hope I can do it again this time.

I'm happy about the self-seeded miners lettuce too:  something keeps eating my pak choi and iceberg lettuce seedlings in other containers.  At least we should have some sort of fresh salad leaves, even if they are tiny!  I have a hard time keeping lettuces alive in general, though I had better success this year than previous ones.  There's also some self-seeded lambs lettuce in another container, which I'm looking forward to;  this self-sowing business is great!  Other self-seeders:  mizuna and chard.  Free food!
Close up of chicory heads, growing in a planter
18 month old chicory, Oct 2017
Speaking of containers, I've also got some chicory plants, sown spring 2016, finally ready to try forcing.  The instructions on the seed packet said to sow them in a seed bed in spring, dig them up in autumn to pot up and force over winter--it did not work out like that at all!  None of the in-ground sown seeds came up (slugs, I suspect), and I made another sowing directly in a planter, which all had grown about two inches tall by autumn.  Needless to say, they did not get forced.  But after more than a year, I hope they'll be good for it now;  I've never tried it before.  If they all successfully grow nice chicons, they should be good for about two meals, sigh.

No comments:

Post a Comment