24 October 2017

Winter brassicas, 2017-2018

A garden bed with young broccoli and cabbage plants growing
Brassicas bed, October 2017
Now that all this year's peas and beans are finished--though the runner beans are still ripening a few pods for seed--I've moved the brassicas from the holding bed into their places, ready for winter.  Currently I have Savoy cabbages, Brussels sprouts (kind of sad from earlier caterpillar damage) and flat leaf kale;  and for later in spring:  purple sprouting broccoli and sweetheart cabbages.

The purple sprouting broccoli look healthy and big, and are wedged between an aluminum head and foot board from an old bed frame our neighbor got rid of.  They make a great plant support, and go well with our garden aesthetic (junkyard chic). 

The Brussels sprouts are staked up individually, though I'm sad to say the majority of them are less than 30 cm (1') tall.  At least they all have little sprouts forming, but it'll probably be a similar harvest to last year:  one meal.  I may try a different variety next year;  this variety (I think it's Seven Hills) seemed to be a slug and caterpillar magnet--three years running.

As far as kale goes, I have two mature plants and four smaller ones;  the older plants got hit hard by caterpillars, but have rallied somewhat and now have some good growth.  I'll most likely let them all (young and old) stand and hopefully harvest again in spring.

The Savoy cabbages are looking strong, and although I knew I should have spaced them at least 60 cm (2') apart, they are crammed in at around 45 cm--some even closer.  Hence some are bigger than others.  Oh well, more are big than small at least!  The sweetheart cabbages are new to me;  half are in the ground and half are in the cold frame, but all are pretty big and leafy, considering.  I look forward to some good growth on them.

No comments:

Post a Comment