21 November 2017

Let the vegetable challenge end, 2017

Two yellow raspberries growing on a cane
Yellow raspberries, November 2017
We officially stopped buying vegetables on the 20th of June, 2017.  The five month challenge to not buy any veg is now over;  we can buy veg again. 

How did I do this year?  Pretty well I think;  last year I was really scraping the bottom of the barrel for the last few weeks--that challenge was for four months and finished at the end of October 2016.  This time I felt like we had plenty of variety right up till the end, and I could probably make things last another few weeks quite comfortably.  I have been supplementing our diet this month with salad fruits, as allowed in the challenge rules, but we've eaten at least two things from the garden every single day, whether fresh or preserved.

However, the husband wants carrots and onions (he's been a whole month without!), so they're on the shopping list again.  I'm going to buy extra onions and peppers next shopping trip and make green tomato salsa with the two bags I have waiting in the freezer.  Still, I ancipate we'll continue eating from the garden--both fresh and preserved--through the end of the year and into 2018.

No comments:

Post a Comment