09 January 2018

Grand total for garden food, 2017

Two big, leafy cabbages growing under glass
Spring cabbages in cold frame, Dec 2017
I know I've been looking forward to this!  From 1 Jan, to 31 Dec, 2017, I harvested from my garden:

201 lb, 11.5 oz vegetables

1643 eggs

Much fruit was also harvested, but mostly by number (e.g. 28 plums) rather than weight.  Weighed fruit (mixed berries and morello cherries) came in at just under 5 lb.  A few veg were also recorded by number, such as the garlic, pumpkins and squashes.

Last year's full total of vegetables was 86 lb.  I can't believe I more than doubled last year's total.  My chickens techically beat last year's total too, but in 2016 I only recorded egg amounts from May to December.  In all actuality, I think they really did lay more last year, but I don't have a record to prove it.

2017's highest producer was potatoes at over 45 lb, followed by chard at over 36 lb, then cabbage at over 19 lb. 

Can I beat these garden totals in 2018?  That's setting the bar pretty high--especially as I've mentioned previously that I'm not growing a full bed of potatoes this year.  I hope to at least match it, though. 

Look out for my next post, where I'll be going over 2017's goals to see what I achieved.

No comments:

Post a Comment