19 January 2018

Preserves taste test, January 2018

It's been a while since I did a taste test!  How did my preserves shape up?

Small bag of dried peas

I soaked these overnight in water, then drained and cooked them--one batch plainly, to be served with steak pie, and another cooked into a stew.  The whole family really liked them both ways (the seven year old asked for seconds to go with his steak pie).  Result:  5*

Large jar of dried chard

I've never heard of anyone else drying chard or other leafy greens until I just decided to try it myself.  I air dried these on trays on top of my fridge--and a few got strung up and hung from my kitchen ceiling to dry.  The texture can be a little rubbery if the leaves are cooked whole, so I try to crumble them up and add to stews, casseroles, sauces, etc.  The flavor is just as good as fresh, I think.  It's a great way to use up mountains of chard during summer;  I cut off the stems and cook them, but put the leaves to dry.  Result:  5*

Large and medium jars of pickled rhubarb

These got lost in the back of the cupboard for pretty much a whole year--they were made in 2016 and eaten in late 2017.  They were really too sharp to eat plain, although they had good flavor (malt vinegar and random spices).  I added them to stews and stir fries, about a quarter cup per meal.  This helped me keep my no-buying veg pledge when fresh garden veg started to get thin in November!  They cooked up well, and I'd definitely preserve (and cook) them this way again.  Result:  5*

Dill and garlic pickled zuccini spears

All of the previous preserves were from 2016 (though I also dried chard in 2017).  This batch of zuccini pickles were from 2017, though from a friend's garden not my own.  Dill and garlic were from my garden, and I used white wine vinegar this time instead of malt.  The first jar, opened about a month after making, was still too sharp and not particularly enjoyable plain--it got cooked in a stir fry.  We opened a second jar about five months on, which was far better.  Good texture, and more mellow flavor.  I'm very happy with them.  Result:  5*

Small jar of apple jelly

I made this as a by-product of cider in 2017, by adding water to the dry pulp from juicing apples, cooking this and then straining the liquid.  The jelly in the jar is a little softer than I'd hoped, but not as runny as I'd feared;  I thought it might be like syrup, but luckily not.  While it has a nice apple flavor, it's really too sweet for my taste.  I guess that's jelly though.  Result:  3*.

No comments:

Post a Comment