13 March 2018

Cabbage in winter (and spring)

Several spring cabbage heads growing in a cold frame
Inside the cold frame, Mar 2018
Winter's nearly done and I still haven't cut any winter cabbages!  Those are the spring cabbages pictured, meant to be harvested in May (though I might pick earlier, as they're taking up valuable cold frame space).  There is definitely at least one winter cabbage out there with a well formed head--I better get on it. 

Last spring I found three forgotten winter cabbages when I cleared away the sprouting broccoli;  they were small and spindly, with about six leaves each.  I took pity on them and let them stay, hoping they'd grow for some greens at least.  Turns out, they just needed a bit of time and a bit more sunlight, as by August they'd grown into the Three Cabbages Gruff;  the biggest one looked like it ate trolls for breakfast every morning.

I'm certainly tempted to let the smallest ones just carry on, after this success.  I still have the last little bit of sauerkraut from the Gruffs in my fridge, and I'd love to be able to make another couple jarfuls this summer. 

But first, time to eat the ones that are ready now.

No comments:

Post a Comment