20 March 2018

Peas and beans bed

Close up of a garden bed with plants poking out of the snow
Broad beans and a cabbage (and daffodils) in the snow, Mar 2018
I have a small patch of dwarf broad beans which have overwintered and are thinking about growing again now that it's March--if it would stop snowing that is.  Raining today, but might snow again tonight/tomorrow (hope not). 

In the adjacent section of the Peas and Beans bed, I put down a similar amount of pre-sprouted regular (tall) broad beans in late February;  they haven't appeared yet, but I'm still hopeful.  On the same day, on the other side of a few cabbages--same bed--I put down some pre-sprouted early peas which are in fact just poking up.  I like peas a lot.  I've got about five different kinds and I kind of lost track of what I've put down so far.  Definitely remember the early peas and a big batch of maincrop peas.  Did I do mange tout (aka snow peas) too?  I think I did, but if I did, where was it?

Oh well.  I'm not planting out any more just right now because of the weather.  But I might pre-sprout a few more to be ready for planting in about two weeks.  Mange tout?  Sugar snap?  More maincrop or early?  Hmmm...

No comments:

Post a Comment