13 April 2018

Keeping up with the greens

Artichokes, daffodils and bricks, Apr 2018
We really haven't had many nice days still;  I've missed sitting out in the garden regularly, but have taken advantage when I can.  Right now we're in full daffodil bloom--mainly in the perennials section, but a few stragglers left in the vegetable patch, somehow.  I put a couple stakes next to them to mark where to dig once they've finished;  I'll move them after they flower though this means they probably won't flower again next year but the year after (I'm ok with this though).

I'm a bit surprised with the amount of vegetable harvest we've got right now, actually.  It's been cabbage every day for the last week, including extra for sauerkraut.  Salad greens every day for lunch too (mainly miners lettuce and a little arugula), and I had to put a big batch of new chard up for later--leaves to dry using my usual technique, stems in the freezer.  I might have to do another batch in a day or two;  the winter cabbages are more of a priority:  they're trying to bolt and the chard isn't just yet.

And then there's the kale.  I think there's only two plants left from winter, but both are growing very strongly and I know it--like the chard--is putting out its new growth now in preparation for going to seed soon.  I need to harvest it quickly!  It's softer than the winter cabbage so unsuitable for sauerkraut (even with that I only used the tougher outer leaves).  I'll give drying a shot.

No comments:

Post a Comment